Contact us: 1300 321 592
Screening Unit
Screening Unit

Working with Children Check infographic in plain text – updated May 2020

Working with Children Checks - Department of Human Services

People who work or volunteer with children in South Australia need a Working with Children Check.

For example:

  • Children’s residential or protection services
  • Religious organisations
  • Child-minding services
  • Clubs and associations
  • Education and training
  • Party entertainers
  • Health and allied services
  • Emergency services
  • Transport services
  • Coaching and tuition.

What sort of check do you have?

I have a current DHS/DCSI child-related employment screening.

You can keep using this until it expires; then you must get a Working with Children Check.

I have a current national police certificate assessed by my organisation.

Under the law, you can use this until one July 2020; then you must get a Working with Children Check.

I have a current professional registration.

Teachers, health service, and transport service workers who work with children must get a Working with Children Check before they renew their current professional registration.

I don’t have a current check.

Under the law, you can’t work for volunteer with children unless you have a valid check. You must get a Working with Children Check.

What’s the difference?

DHS child-related employment screening (before 1 July 2019)

  • Valid for three years
  • Organisations start the application.
  • Valid for five years
  • Do your own application.
  • Not valid for working or volunteering with children.

Working with Children Check (after 1 July 2019)

National police certificate (after 1 July 2020)

The law

DHS Screening Unit

The Department of Human Services Screening Unit is the only service that can conduct Working with Children Checks in South Australia.

It is illegal to:

  • Work or volunteer with children without a valid Working with Children Check
  • Employ a person or volunteer who doesn’t have a Working with Children Check, or is prohibited from working with children.

Get ready

Don’t leave it to the last minute. Allow at least six weeks to process your Working with Children Check application.

If you are renewing a current DHS screening, you can submit a new application up to 6 months before your current one expires.

Talk to your employer about getting a Working with Children Check or apply for a check directly.

Return to previous page

Visit the DHS Screening Unit website

This site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021 DHS .

Last updated:[02 Mar 2020 3:12pm]