Contact us: 1300 321 592
Screening Unit
Screening Unit

Aged care sector

Aged care sector checks assess whether a potential employee or volunteer could pose a risk of harm to older people, based on their criminal history.

Who needs a check?

You need an aged care sector check if you work or volunteer for an organisation funded by the Commonwealth.

This may include:

  • key organisational personnel
  • carers, including in residential, community and in-home settings
  • allied health professionals
  • service support workers, for example, kitchen, cleaning, laundry, maintenance and office staff
  • consultants, trainers and advisors working for the organisation.

How to get a check

Aged care providers are allowed to do their own risk assessments. They must get a statutory declaration from any worker or volunteer who, has been a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than Australia at any time after turning 16, stating they have never been convicted of murder or sexual assault, or convicted of and sentenced to imprisonment for any other form of assault. The provider’s assessment may include a national police check.

Alternatively, providers can start an application with the Screening Unit on behalf of an individual for an aged care sector screening, which assesses a range of information and is done in line with the Aged Care Accountability Principles. These checks are valid for three years and are continuously monitored.

Related information

State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS[sm v5.4.7.1] .

Last updated:[06 Jun 2019 7:58am]

Provided by:
SA Department for Human Services
Last Updated:
05 Jul 2018
Printed on:
21 Jan 2020
The Screening Unit website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016